The Green Party of Taos Country would like to thank and commend the Taos Town Council for passing A Resolution of the Town of Taos on Environmental Responsibility and Commitment to Action on Aug. 8, 2017. That the Town officially recognizes Taos as “an ecologically fragile high plains semi-arid environment” and “that global environmental factors such as air pollution, global warming and increased ocean temperatures can produce dramatic immediate and long-term impacts on Taos” is very much in alignment with the Green Party key value of “Ecological Wisdom” which states that:
“Human societies must function with the understanding that we are part of nature, not separate from nature. We must maintain an ecological balance and live within the ecological and resource limits of our communities and our planet. We support a sustainable society that utilizes resources in such a way that future generations will benefit and not suffer from the practices of our generation. To this end we must practice agriculture that replenishes the soil, move to an energy-efficient economy, and live in ways that respect the integrity of natural systems.”
Further, the resolution declares that the “Town of Taos commits to work to achieve energy independence through conservation, sustainability, innovation and an increased commitment to solar energy.” Taking action at the local community level is also in alignment with several other Green Party values including “Community-Based Economics”, “Personal and Global Responsibility” and “Future Focus and Sustainability.” The Green Party of Taos County fully supports the Town’s declaration of their aspiration and commitment to:
– “achieve energy independence through conservation, sustainability, innovation and an increased commitment to solar energy”;
– “reduce the town’s carbon footprint through additional municipally sponsored solar usage”;
– “actively engage in finding ways to reduce energy consumption through conservation, increasing the efficiency of existing vehicles, facilities and equipment and substituting more efficient technologies” and “adopt any changes by September 1, 2017 to ensure the protection of the acequia network”;
– “increase the presence of safe bike lanes throughout the Town.”
These commitments, along with others in this resolution, are fantastic steps that we, as a community, can take to create a better planet for everyone.
– Seamus Berkeley, co-chair, Green Party of Taos County. Written for the Green Party of Taos County.