High school student detained, booked into juvenile detention after threat


A Taos High School student was detained and later booked into juvenile detention Monday (March 5) after police say the student made a threat Friday (March 2) to "shoot the school", according to Taos police.

The student made the threat to a teacher Friday at about 2:40 p.m., according to Taos Police Chief David Trujillo.

On Monday, School Resource Officer Henry Sanchez was dispatched to the school at 8:20 a.m. and met by school officials where the student said they had indeed made the threat but said it was meant as a joke, according to Trujillo. Sanchez then contacted the Juvenile Probation and Parole Office who authorized detention for the student. The student was later booked into the Juvenile Detention Facility and has been referred to Juvenile Probation and Parole for "Disrupting the Educational Process."

Parents and students received word of the incident via a letter sent out by school officials Monday afternoon. 

"This is yet another threat of school violence incident that was committed, but not reported until days later," Trujillo said in an email. "This is a concern to the Taos Police Department and should be a concern to our community and our school system."

At least two adults who know students at the school or have relatives attending the school said they were upset that the letter was sent out hours after the student was detained. 

The letter, from Taos High principal Robert V. Trujillo, said the administration had received word of "a verbal threat to campus" at 8 a.m. Monday and reported it immediately to police. 

"It is important to remember that Taos High and Taos Municipal Schools treat any threat seriously, no matter the degree," said the letter. "Threats that may seem to be 'copycat', unintentional or harmless in nature will be treated with strict consequences at the school and charges will be filed as well."

Friday's incident is the second known verbal threat at Taos High School in the past week and the fifth threat at various school properties since Jan. 31.