A large-scale metal sculpture by the late Taos artist Ted Egri was installed Saturday (April 22) in front of the Taos County Administrative-Judicial Complex at the corner of Paseo del Pueblo Sur and Albright Street.
The artwork, titled “Flight of Wind,” had been on Egri’s property north of Taos before his death in 2010 at the age of 97.
In order for it to be installed at its new location, “Flight of Wind” had to be carefully taken apart and then reassembled. That job fell to Richard Sanchez, according to Elise Waters Olonia of Fine Art Services in Taos, which is the organization handling the Egri estate.
A special dedication ceremony is planned May 19, 4:30 p.m., at the site. Mayor Dan Barrone and Taos County Commission Chairman Jim Fambro will read proclamations in the artist’s honor. It will be part of several other events planned that weekend, according to Olonia. This is corrected from an error in the April 27 issue of Tempo magazine.
"As one of the original founders of the Taos Art Association in 1952, Ted was an active member of the Taos community and Taos County," Olonia writes on Egri's biography site (http://fineartservices.info/gallery/ted-egri/biography-of-ted-egri). "Kit, his wife became the Stables Art Gallery director where the couple conducted classes and arranged lecture series. That same year, the vibrancy of the Taos Art Colony was re-established through an important show at the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center. This exhibition titled, 'Taos Painting Yesterday and Today,' featured nine of the original founding artists and 21 contemporary / modern artists including Ted Egri. Ted had the privilege of knowing some of the Taos Founders who were his neighbors on Ledoux Street such as Blumenschein, Berninghaus and Phillips.
"Four years later, Ted introduced the term 'Taos Moderns' and worked with Raymond Jonson to create their first exhibition at the Jonson Gallery at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque."